Tuesday, September 29, 2009

nikhil

In the course of fifteen years at school, Nikhil and I would have exchanged perhaps twenty five words, if so many. We were nowhere close to being on the same platform- him, the genius and me, the indifferent performer.

Nikhil, however, was one of those people whom you did not have to interact with for him to impact your life. It was hard not to notice him- the teachers you adored, adored him; the quizzing laurels you read about on the noticeboard were invariably his; the exams you used to dread were inevitably aced by him. Someone once described him as the 'gentle giant' and that phrase stuck in my mind. I was in awe of him- here was the student that I wanted to be- how did he manage it? All my school life, he was a silent, towering presence, both literally and figuratively. When I flip through the mental album of my school memories, Nikhil occupies pride of place- quietly raising a hand and explaining the difference between a resolution and an oath to the awed class- in Class V; studying the table hard and trying not to blush as Hemalatha ma'am praised his immaculate uniform and spotless shoes- in Class X; his ears turning red as teacher after teacher praised him to his mother- in every single school year. There were many, many of those who fervently wished they could be like him some day; I topped that list- and still do.

Nikhil- a remembrance from one of us whom you never knew you impacted.
I'll never forget you.
Rest In Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment